THE 2019 SUMMER INSTITUTE ON CRITICAL PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH
The week-long Critical Participatory Action Research Institute is designed to introduce the theory, methods, and ethics of critical participatory action research (CPAR) to graduate students, faculty, and members of community based organizations. Through seminars, roundtables, and hands-on workshops with experienced researchers, participants gain the necessary skills and knowledge to integrate a critical PAR approach into their scholarship, research, and/or organizing.
The Institute is held at The CUNY Graduate Center in New York City and begins on Monday at 9:30am and ends at 1pm on Friday. The tuition is $1500 and includes breakfast and lunch. Housing is not included. Limited scholarships are available, see application.
THE CPAR SUMMER INSTITUTE COVERS:
- The history, theory, methods, & ethics of critical PAR
- Building partnerships with community & community based organizations
- Creating conditions for creating meaningful collaboration within research collectives
- Designing critical participatory research with IRBs & community review boards
- Participatory approaches to methods and analysis: mapping, community-generated surveys, interviews, focus groups
- Engaging the arts and performance as research tools
- Advance current projects & develop new research ideas in a community of peers and experienced critical PAR researchers (both university & community based)
- Join a diverse international network of critical participatory action researchers